Greater Whitechapel

Salvation Army Rescue Home, 212 Hanbury Street
Contributed by Clare_F on May 23, 2018

The Hanbury Street Rescue Home for 'fallen women' at 212 Hanbury Street opened on 22 May 1884, being prominent in the 'Maiden Tribute' story (, and moved to Dalston on 5 Aug 1885. The Home is the house shown to the left of Trinity Congregational Church ( london/vol27/pp265-288#h3-0018). The Church and house were demolished in 1903, replaced by a Board School and later by Pauline House, the high-rise block of flats there now.