29-33 White Church Lane

1936-7, gown factory and showroom, demolished 2016

29-33 White Church Lane
Contributed by Survey of London on June 20, 2016

Fishel K. Abrahamson converted a house at No. 29 to be a synagogue in 1895–6.

Nos 29–33 Church Lane and 27a Commercial Road were redeveloped together in 1936–7, with George Coles as architect and Hudson Brothers as builders for M. Freedman, a gown manufacturer. There was a faint echo of Coles’s Art Deco skills in the façade fenestration of the factory and showroom block.1 The site was cleared in 2016.

  1. District Surveyors Returns: Post Office Directories: Ordnance Survey 1873: The National Archives, IR58/84809/2656. 

29 White Church Lane, July 2014
Contributed by Chris Redgrave

29-33 White Church Lane
Contributed by Derek Kendall