10 Cable Street

Built 1899-1900 as the Horns and Horseshoe public house

10 Cable Street (formerly the Horns and Horseshoe public house)
Contributed by Survey of London on March 5, 2019

The Horse (later Horns) and Horseshoe had been on this site for some time before 1807 when its tenant was Allrich Eden, a German immigrant sugarworker. The pub was rebuilt in 1899–1900 to designs by Henry Hyman Collins, architect, acting for the City of London Brewery Company, with F. & H. F. Higgs, builders. It closed in 1997.1

  1. London Metropolitan Archives, District Surveyors Returns: The National Archives, IR58/84822/3960: Carole Zeidman, ‘Wilton’s, a history of the hall and houses’, 2015, p. 13: information kindly supplied by Stephen Harris 

10 Cable Street in 2018
Contributed by Derek Kendall